Hemp Leaf Salsa is the perfect twist on regular tomato based salsas. Super bright and very tasty when made properly. Hemp leafs when eaten usually have a spicy flavor, so this makes them the perfect add to traditional salsa! We’ve tried this with hemp flower as well, we’ve found you get just a hint of the plants profile with quite a bit of kick dependent on the strain. If you would like to try using cbd hemp flower or even medical cannabis, you can swap out an eighth or two for the leaves!
In my opinion, the best salsa is made with fresh tomatoes and fresh cannabis leaves. Previously I thought I could just go the route of using all canned tomatoes and some leaves I froze, but using even just a little fresh tomato and fresh picked hemp leaves makes a world of difference! It’s usually hard to get ahold of “old” cannabis leaves or frozen but if you can, don’t, just use fresh ones. Somebody you know has fresh cannabis or hemp leaves for you! And don’t worry, cannabis leaves aren’t psychoactive, meaning they will not get you high. This is hands down mine and my wife’s favorite salsa recipe (even versus traditional). This hemp leaf recipe isn’t too oniony or garlic'y, nor too spicy for my friends kid.
Looking For CBD With Non-Detectable THC?
Personally I’d say the sugar is only needed if you are using store-bought tomatoes. If you grow your own (like us!) or buy them at the farmers market, the quality is usually significantly better. As you may have noticed, they’re a bit sweeter so the sugar isn’t needed!
Fresh Hemp Leaf Salsa Ingredients
While this is a very simple recipe, it does require a few easy to get ingredients. You can find all of the ingredients below, except the cannabis leaves at the grocery store.
- Fresh Roma tomatoes: Try to the nice and red ones, avoid anything soft, those are going bad even if they aren’t yet.
- Canned Tomatoes: We like to use canned in addition to fresh because it gives the salsa a better consistency.
- Fresh cilantro: Yes, cilantro adds KEY flavor, don’t skip this!
- Jalapeño: This adds your kick! If you don’t like heat you can replace it with 1/4 cup chopped bell pepper, or just let the leaves add spice.
- Fresh Hemp/Cannabis Leaves: These add the spice I mentioned earlier! Roughly a handful of leaves (smaller is better)
- Red Onion: yellow onion can be used here as well, but just use red.
- Green Onion: if you don’t want to buy both kinds of onions, again just get them! You can skip the green onions and add just a little more red onion.
- Garlic: It may seem small but as you know garlic packs a powerful and flavorful punch. Only use fresh garlic here for best flavor but jarred minced will do in a pinch.
- Lime: this really brightens up the salsa and gives it that smooth taste.
- Chili Powder & Cumin: I always add these but not everybody has them or will use them for anything else so these you can skip BUT they’re a nice addition if you have them on hand or can get them.
- Sugar: Just a touch balances out the acidity of the store bought tomatoes and lime if you used packaged instead of fresh.
- Salt and pepper: Mandatory!!! The salsa would taste pretty flat without the salt and the pepper adds a light but different kick.
How to Make Fresh Hemp Leaf Salsa
- Roughly chop the veggies and cannabis leaves (and fruit if you want to get technical, tomatoes).
- Add vegetables to a food processor or a blender along with spices and lime juice.
- Chop in quick bursts until it’s finely chopped up, enjoy!
How Long Does Fresh Hemp Leaf Salsa Last?
This Fresh Hemp Lead salsa should last for up to a week if stored in a sealed container in the fridge. Frozen adds a few more weeks but it’s not as great after thawing!